Prenatal Tests

Hi fellow mummies, i would like to ask for your views on first trimester screenings and non invasive prenatal tests (NIPT) to test for genetic disorders or risk of pre-eclampsia. I’m 8 weeks and currently contemplating if I should get these tests done. The prices of these tests range from $400-1200 each, no small amount😔 I’m in a dilemma if the tests would be worth as regardless, I will not choose abortion.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Personally, me and hubby were contemplating hard on this. Similarly, we did not want to go for abortion no matter what happens. We then decided not to go for NIPT nor Oscar as our baby's FTS was normal and gynae said low risk. So we used the money for maternity insurance instead. Gave birth exactly a week ago to a healthy baby boy 😊Your partner's insights may be helpful too so do discuss! Don't go through the dilemma alone. All the best!

Read more

I think NIPT is a better option. Even if you do not plan to abort no matter what, it would be good to be mentally prepared should there be some issues with the baby (TOUCHWOOD!!!) as it tests for quite a number of chromosomal disorders and has an accuracy rate of around 99%. If money is an issue, all the more you’ll need the time to be financially prepared as well.

Read more

Hmm, i think... Just got for NIPT. at least the result is more accurate. Rather than you did OSCAR then get bad result and you can’t help worrying. since you won’t abort no matter what, getting a firm result is better than leaving you hanging right.

My take is if u will keep the baby no matter what just trust in your faith and can choose the basic one or none at all

if you will not choose abortion, i think the basic FTS will do for you