Breastfeeding woes

Feeling guilty cause my baby is having difficulty latching (consultation said my boobies is too big for him), so we're just pumping out the milk and bottle feeding him. Topping up with FM cause my BM is not enough for his demands. Feeling guilty cause I'm not breastfeeding him exclusively :(

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Don’t feel guilty, dear:) you’re still giving him your precious milk! And there’s absolutely no shame in topping up with FM! You’re doing what’s good for him, and you’re an amazing mummy ❤️ I needed to top up with FM for the first 5-6 weeks, then after that my supply was adequate for baby:) Also, my baby had some struggles latching on initially also because of size and the fast flow rate during the let down, but when she got a little bigger, it became easier, and she was so happy with the flow rate from direct latching that she completely rejected the bottle. Lol. Different problem altogether.. But anyway, keep pumping, topping up with FM if you need to, and you can latch on after the feed for your little one to practise and get comfortable with latching. It’s lovely to bond that way (skin to skin) even if feeding has to be via the bottle for now. Take care dear:)

Read more
4y ago

Thank you for sharing your experience! It made me feel better and that I'm not a bad mom for not latching!! I'll keep trying! ❤

VIP Member

Don’t feel guilty! Even if you are exclusively pumping, you are still feeding him breastmilk which is the best you can provide. Perhaps when he is older, you can try different latching positions to latch him again. You can join this support group, Breastfeeding Mothers Singapore (BMSG) on Facebook and seek advice too!

Read more
4y ago

Thanks for the advice! I'm feeling upset cause of my low supply too - Baby is drinking 90 - 120ml per feed at 1 week old now. So we have to top up with FM too

VIP Member

Thanks for the info of big boobies. My boy doesn't like mine too. He cried horribly everytime I tried to put him near my boob. Nurses, cl, massage ladies, exeprienced ppl and elder ppl have no ideas why. You have to wait untill when he is damn hungry to latch

4y ago

Yup! Hopefully he'll be able to latch properly when he's a little bigger!

VIP Member

Hang in there! I couldn't latch him well to so he's a bottle baby while i had low supply so he was on mixed feed. Grew up okay still!

4y ago

Thank you for sharing!!! ❤