Topping up with formula milk

Hi, just gave birth last week. Noticed my pedia is so keen for me to breastfeed and lactation consultant, but it has been stressing me out. Last checkup with pedia she didn’t suggest formula milk as baby is not dehydrated. But my nipples are already bleeding and not feeling well. Do I have to ask permission from pedia for topping up with formula milk or just go with it? Cause i feel like they won’t allow me

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Just top up ❤️ Let your nipples heal. See the lactation consultant, so she can teach you how to latch baby on properly. When baby latches well, there is no pain at all and there shouldn’t be cracked or bleeding nipples. Also apply the lanolin ointment. I could latch baby on immediately after applying, even though it was hurting a lot before that. The breastfeeding journey is a learning curve for most of us, but it’s rewarding and should be enjoyable for both you and baby:) If you’re worried that baby will choose the bottle over you next time, feed the formula with a syringe:)

Read more

You definitely can. I have been mix feeding since day 1. Take a break from latching and pump instead. Also apply nipple cream diligently, it helps :)

Yes u can top up with formula milk. I did the same for my LO. Instead of latching everytime, you can pump and store ur BM for feedings.

TapFluencer

up to you 😘