Shopping for First Baby!

hi everyone! I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant. just wondering, when is a good time to start shopping for baby essentials?

62 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Do window/ online shopping from now! It's always good to go shopping and see what is in the market as a form of research (but don't buy them yet~ unless the deal is too good). I've been going to these expos and get to see the different brands and types of products for babies and learnt what they do and make comparisons. Maybe can make a list of what you are interested in buying and do research online. Then plan and think hard about it to see if that is what you really need. Then wait for those 7/7, 8/8, 9/9 sale or something to buy, or choose to buy 2nd hand from carousell or see if your friends have any extras they can bless you. Looking at all my pregnant friend's experiences, last minute shopping will often result in buying alot of extra stuff (and weirf gimmicky stuff) that isn't needed and also more expensive than usual.

Read more

I started shopping around week 24 onwards. By then the fetus was viable enough to be a baby, ie if I went into early labour, she would probably survive. My biggest fear during pregnancy was losing my baby. And so I didn’t want to shop until I knew confirm my baby would be born alive if I went into labour. :)

Read more
5y ago

my parents also said so.. they got this pantang about getting things way too early

I shopped only after knowing the baby's gender. Just nice in April there was a baby fair so I went to have a look. But there's no good time to shop, as long as you feel you want to buy smth for your lo just buy! But not too much clothes cos they grow too fast. Get essentials that you need like maybe portable milk dispenser, milk bottles, handkerchiefs, all these are okay.

Read more
Super Mum

Hubby and I were pretty chill.. We only started shopping once I entered my 3rd trimester.. 🤣 But for infants, they actually don’t need that many items. They’ll outgrow their NB clothes relatively fast, so we got some hand-me-downs & only got a couple of new ones..

im also 17 weeks and i started already. i just bought her basic stuff, like newborn pampers, swaddle, blanket, towel, wet tissue and nursing bag. next month i'm gonna do the same, just buy her the basic stuff. probablu on my 3rd trimester then i will look for her clothes 🥰

VIP Member

i would say from early third trimester would be good enough. chances of you overbuying (and getting unnecessary stuff) is lower 🤭 then again... if got sales. the temptation is always there. but i think most will allow u to buy first and deliver close to ur edd?

Read more

I’d start buying anytime during the 2nd trimester before I hit 3rd trimester when I am so much heavier and walking too much gets tough. You can start by doing your research first, comparing prices or even see if you can get hand me downs

is it normal to have pain in lower left side (pelvic)(puson) l? I am in 17weeks pregnant. just now I got the pain and the pain is like you will have menstruation. any idea or siggestio on how to relief the pain?

11mo ago

It’s normal since the uterus is expanding. If it’s the kind of pain that’s not going away for about 5mins or more, maybe you should consult your obstetrician.

VIP Member

started from after 3 months. i bought slowly. like this month a baby cot, nxt month a stroller, following month carseat etc. i started with big bulky stuffs then slowly to clothing and daily use items.

Can try buy bit by bit .... cos i will tabulate a list, of all things i need. Then split the items to buy over time.. see whichever got sale buy first.. the rest wait for sale again ...