When to start baby shopping?

Hello mummies! First time mummy here at 13 weeks. When is a good time to start shopping for the baby for essentials? Like strollers, baby cot etc. Also is it normal if i want to check on prices earlier on so I know how much to save up? Also any good place to recommend? Are baby fairs good enough? Also usually what is the frequency of a baby fair being held? Like once every 3 or 6 months? #pleasehelp #firsttimemom #advicepls #firstbaby

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi Mummy,it's good to plan earlier and check on the price of the products.Buy earlier better bcoz after 3rd trimester as the baby bump getting bigger,will have a back ache to walk around to shop.Buy when there's sale,will be good to save money.Choose products that would be suitable for u.My baby is born in mid 2021, there's covid restriction and not advisable to go to baby fair.Clothes for new born,mittens,booties,don't buy too much,as they will grow fast.U can buy a bigger size depends if u and ur husband are tall,ur baby probably will be bigger in size,buy 6-9 months onwards. I shop in store,at Mothercare for clothes and Kiddy Palace for baby products,bottles(tommee tippee),bottle brush,bottle washing liquid(pigeon),breast pump. U can also buy online through their website. Breast milk is the best for baby.For Formula milk,u can ask ur doctor for advise.There's platform such as shopee and lazada where u can find a lot of baby products. U can shop at Jin tai for more affordable items such as drapolene nappy creams,Huggies wet wipes. For baby cot,there's affordable playpen (0-12 months)ranging from $100 onwards, that can easily be folded.I bought it online shopee $180(Brotish).Choose a baby cot that's more suitable for u & baby.Wooden baby cot will be more higher in price,there are for newborns and 3 in 1 type..where u can use it until ur child is older.For baby stoller, i went to Baby Kingdom at kaki bukit,there's a lot of range and prices,where u can choose from.We bought Mini Easywalker that can be folded arnd $280. While baby is still small,buy a baby carrier. Take care, have a smooth delivery and enjoy the journey towards parenthood. :)

Read more

I started planning end of 2nd trimester and started buying from Carousell items or taking hand-me-downs that I don’t mind having second hand at 3rd trimester. This includes baby wearing, newborn up to 1 years old clothes and side-sleeping cot. Bought infant car seat and essential baby care items from 34 weeks. Lazada so far is the cheapest for us, with all their sales going on. Now I’m 36 weeks and the last item I’m purchasing are a set of bottles, UV steriliser and bottle warmer. Stroller, baby diapers and baby bathtub thought of buying after baby is born - mainly cos we do not think we will need it, hospital will give some and baby can we wiped clean instead of being bathed in first week respectively.

Read more
TapFluencer

hello better to start planning from second trimester and do the in-person shopping towards the end of second trimester and the online shopping in the beginning of third trimester based on the expected date of delivery of the items. Do check my post on my journey through second trimester for more clarity. We visited the Hyperstore and Baby Kingdom in Kaki Bukit to get an idea because during my pregnancy there was no baby fair due to covid restrictions. You can also visit Mummy's market @ Raffles. Pls check out Carousel too because there are many sellers out there too. You can also find Jarrons, Baby Kingdom in Lazada/Shopee. Wishing you all the best for a healthy smooth pregnancy and delivery. Happy shopping

Read more

Any! But I would advise to start collecting handmedowns (clothings, mittens, booties, swaddles and hat) because they grow VERY fast during newborn days (0-3m). The rest like strollers, cot (I personally didn’t use cot, just cosleep cause more convenient to bf) can slowly get. Wait for shopee/lazada double digit sale, it’s cheaper than baby fairs. You can go down to baby fair to see and feel the actual item, then wait for sale. You can follow mummymarket, from there Facebook will auto pop up other baby fairs on your ads 😂.

Read more

I started to buy necessity items (Baby cot, baby bottles, stroller, wipes, washcloths, etc) when about 4/5mths in my pregnancy. Usually hospital will provide a small pack of diapers after giving birth (do check w your hospital on this). For bulk/better discounts, you might want to purchase diapers (entering third tri) via Shopee/Lazada. I think baby fair - Mummy's Fair is every 3mths, the upcoming one is in April. You might want to check it out for the other essential items!

Read more

Typically after 24 weeks cause that’s when baby is viable. You can check Lazada/Shopee whenever they’re having their monthly sales. Heard that the prices online are cheaper than mummy fair.

TapFluencer

only started shopping from 3rd trimester... stroller, diapers, wet wipes are absolutely essential... didnt use cot much... that was pretty much money wasted

1y ago

Get a used baby cot from carousell to try out 1st. I got it for $50 (without mattress) and its in a very good condition. Personally i prefer not to co-sleep with baby. Mummy/Daddy need quality sleep in order to take better care of baby 😃