Epidural

Is epidural recommended while giving birth?

34 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If you know for sure that your threshold for pain is low, it’s best to take it even before you really start feeling the contractions. Once you’ve reached 8-9cm, they usually wouldn’t administer the epidural already. So you’d have to deal with the pain. I took it when I was 3-4cm dilated even though I hadn’t started feeling any contractions. I just felt like I wouldn’t be able to handle the pain and stress. So for me, my labour and delivery ended up being very easy. Painless, and it only took me less than ½ hour to push my baby out. I had the typical side effect of shivering, but it only lasted for about an hour after delivery. I also had slight pelvic and back pain for two weeks after, but I think it’s due to my joints/bones readjusting afterbirth.

Read more

I had epidural when I was 3cm dilated. Epidural is a miracle. I dint feel much pain when the needle is being administered in. I can sleep and rest till the "pushing" part. But beware of the side effects. Different people will go through different side effects. Some might experience back pain and etc and some might not.

Read more
VIP Member

last time the nurse keep coming to me asking if I want to take epidural or not, don't wait until really pain cannot tahan then ask for it, in the end when the contractions kicks in after 18 hours in labor ward, I ask for it 😆 my baby not show up until the next 13 hours after tht, glad I opt for it

I’m glad I took epidural when I was about 3cm dilated. My labour was slightly less than 24hrs so cannot imagine how I’d be without any form of painkillers. I had laughing gas when epidural was administered. But I was overwhelmed by the side effects, lots of vomiting shivering and fever.

I didn't ask for it as i wanted to see how bad labor pain can be. I didn't really feel pain, the contractions felt more like super bad stomach cramps and going to have atomic bomb (diarrhoea). I breathe (sync) with the contractions and i was fine. Bb came out less than 3 hrs

I think the doc who did the epidural is super impt. I opt for epidural coz I'm scare of labour pain. The doc was super good till I dont feel pain during the insertion on the back waist.. and to prevent myself from moving, I asked the two midwives to press me down during the procedure.

Super Mum

If it’s done well and works well, it is the most effective form of pain relief during labour. The doctor should let you know of the possible side effects (headache,back pain, fever, etc) and potential complications prior to administering it:)

I didnt wanna take epidural but oxytocin drips starts at 60ml is really killing me so I took last minute epidural at 6cm. Got poke twice! My pain threshold is good but the drip is forcing you to give birth 🥵 is tearing me apart

I took epidural when dilate 3cm.... without side effects.... but my pain tolerance is low.... if u wana try to endure... u need to know that until a certain dilation... can't use epidural anymore...

VIP Member

I took epidural cause my is all c set. After that c set doc will give me laughing gas that one is super high sia. Some ppl got side effects some don't , depending on your body