Cold food

Can we eat cold food during pregnancy? As in good stored in the fridge and took it out to eat without heating up. Would there be any harmful effects on the baby?

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It depends what food you're talking about. I heat up leftovers. Leftovers generally do habour some form of bacteria/pathogens on them and it's better to heat it up thoroughly to kill off the bacteria as much as possible, to avoid getting an upset stomach (and other serious pregnancy issues , which I personally don't think are that common at all in sg). I do eat food items that are intended to be cold too, like yogurt, ice cream etc. https://www.fda.gov/files/food/published/Food-Safety-for-Pregnant-Women_1.pdf

Read more

From TCM's point of view, even a person who is not pregnant should avoid cold food. Let it gain heat (not necessary to heat up, ie gain heat naturally) for a while or till room temperature then consume it. Please avoid raw or not fully cooked food.

Super Mum

I don't think there's much harm except the food won't taste good 😛 and if it's been in the fridge for too long it might have spoiled so heating up is still the safer way to go

Hi, I think it is better to heat up the left over food as it tastes better and also minimises the chances of food poisoning

VIP Member

Better not to eat cold food. It might cause food poisoning. Best to heat up before eating.

Super Mum

Cold food’s fine:) I would caution eating leftover or not fully cooked food though.

food..better to heat it up before eating, regardless pregnant or not

Better heat But of course depending on what food

Depends on what food.. But better to heat up

VIP Member

It's better to always heat up your food