Can dye or highlight hair straight after confinement? Will the chemical affect if i breastfeed my LO?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Although no data is available on the effects of dying hair or getting hair treatments while pregnant or breastfeeding, it is known that little of the chemicals would actually be absorbed in your system. Avoid treatments that involve the scalp because these can be absorbed into the bloodstream and in the long run, affect the baby as well as breastmilk. Alot of mommies choose to avoid such chemical hair treatments till after they are done breastfeeding. Consider alternatives like having highlights put in your hair because the dye is only placed on strands of your hair and does not touch the scalp. This way, the skin does not absorb the chemicals into the bloodstream. Another alternative is pure vegetable dyes including henna.

Read more

I ever asked doc and hair dresser before. All mention is fine to dye ur hair even if u r breasts feeding. If u r worrIED u May consider those all natural dyes lIke henna type or alternatively when u visit ur saloon u may request them to.color without touching ur hair roots and scalp.

I did all and everything was okay. I know of many people who went ahead with self care whilst breastfeeding too. I doubt the chemical will have any effect. After all it's what we consume that enters the milk. Just my two cents.

Can just go ahead and do it. The effect of any is almost v v little. It gets washed off and not sitting there till the cows come home for the dye

Its totally fine. You may also find this article useful: https://sg.theasianparent.com/can-a-breast-feeding-mom-dye-or-perm-their-hair

VIP Member

Nope it won't affect. I continue to color and do treatment to my hair after confinement.

Technically OK..But I avoid cos I'm breastfeeding

I did tt, ok for me still bfing my bb at 14mths

VIP Member

It’s ok. Try to use organic one thou

TapFluencer

Try to use organic treatment