Good Comeback for Unsolicited Advice/Unwelcome Remarks

During pregnancy, there's bound to be family members, relatives and friends giving you unsolicited advice/unwelcome remarks which can be annoying right? 😅 Apart from "just ignore, don't bother" about them, anyone has any tried and tested good comeback response that prevents further irritation from them? That will really help, thanks!! 😄 [Unsolicited advice/Unwelcome remarks examples] - "Eh I heard cannot eat/drink XXX leh, if not will blahblahblah" (...when you have done your own research and it is OK to eat/drink XXX) - Speaks of some old wives' tale/superstition and insists that you follow it to be safe - "Eh how come your bump look so big/small at X month? My/my friend's bump wasn't like this leh" - "Wah finally pregnant ah! I waited so long! It's about time la, you both married for so long already, and you're not getting young also!" -- from the elders 😏

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Not only in your circle but here too. Noticed too many times, unsolicited advices like superstitions and expects everyone to believe. I roll my eyes when I see comments like that. Really not needed especially when everyone's beliefs are different. I have no tolerance for things like that and I will normally tell them off. I have immediate family members that said I am old and keep forgetting things when I'm obviously pregnant so I told them off and ask them to Google about pregnancy brain. That shut them up. I was secretly hoping they'll experience the same as me and see how they feel. Yes, I can be mean too.

Read more
VIP Member

I think for the food and drinks part, some ppl are just genuinely concerned about us, hence just take it with a pinch of salt. For the old wives tale, depending on how pantang you are. 🤣 The pregnancy comment be like just ignore cuz errbardy bound to have something to say. Fast they say wah u fast, finally also say finally. Unnecessary stress for parents.

Read more
TapFluencer

for you cannot drink this or that my reply will be. oh is it but I drink already nvm la. old wives tales honestly I will listen better to be safe than sorry. some claim to be old wives tales but actually it's real thing. most of the time for ppl who keep saying I will just say. ok I get it don't need keep repeat hahaha. indirectly telling them enough

Read more

I simply reply such people with the comments they deserve. If their comments are mean then they will get a mean comment from me. If they meant well for me then I will jus listen. But still I will tell these ppl I pay so much for my doctor fee surely I listen to my doctor.. if not anything happen to me who pay for me?? You?

Read more
3y ago

Telling them I pay so much for doctor's fee is a damn good idea btw hahaha. Def picking that up as one of my comeback lines! 😆

Yea! I got a “what took you both so long” remark from a relative while I was pregnant and a “when are u both gonna have kids alrdy? It’s been xx years”. my answer - simple. “We got no time for sex. Too busy travelling” that shut them up for a very long time.

I dun care abt others saying cannt eat.. I eat what i want and dun eat wat i dunwan but when it comes to MIL.. Abit opposite.. I don't feel comfortable eating certain food but MIL says can eat n cook for me. Dont know how to reject.

3y ago

Wow thanks for the idea. I Nv thought of this! Ya, im also thankful and she is also doing things for me so dont want to offend her too. 😁

VIP Member

Best is don't give them topic to talk. I will just find a corner to rest. If you cannot see that i am tired then you need go reflect on yourself. Don't disturb a pregnant woman rest. Lol.

Don’t meet people. Best solution.