Teaching To Kids

Does any working mum feel the need to teach kids other than in childcare? I just feel so hectic in daily schedule that I can't seem to work teaching into evenings. I fetch my lo (3 years old) around 7 from childcare, feed her till about 8 and then play time till 8.30, then it's Bath and sleep time. If I stop halfway during an activity, it's also very hard to get her to not be angry..I feel like I am not doing enough.. How do you working mums do it? (if you are)

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I don't do teaching in terms of things like ABCs, 123s, phonics etc - but I prefer to let my son learn through play at home :) I'm not a parent who's focused on academics, but more into letting him enjoy his childhood and figuring out his interests - so our activities range from playing cars together, colouring, pretend play (eg. cooking or farm animal roleplay), sensory play etc. I feel that for working mums, it's not so much about the quantity but quality instead - there's no point in trying to teach when you're exhausted, and getting your kids to sit down for things like phonics and flash cards after a day in school might not be what they want. Instead, I'd say to just play with them without distractions - even if it's just for 30mins. Let kids be kids and let them play the way they want to, even if it means turning your sofa into a racing track - don't limit their play by "how things should be played" but let them explore and learn on their own!

Read more