Does shaving baby's hair really make their hair grow more n longer eventually?

66 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hmm guess it's a local tradition here but actually it may not be true. It's very much dependent on e parents' genes n also e care of Ur baby's hair. If u chk online they also advised tt The hair that grows afterwards may take longer to grow, and when it does it is usually curlier or thicker or might even have a different color. Overall, whether you trim, brush or shave the baby's hair, know that it won't affect the hair that grows in. That is all dependent on genes. For me, I didn't shave my baby's n she has crazy funky hair now!:)

Read more

Its a Myth, very untrue. Its genetically inherited from the parents. Both me and my brother was not shaved but we have very thick hair because my parents have thick hair too. You can actually see the genetical pattern and texture of the parent's hair is the same as the child's. I have friends who regretted shaving their child's hair especially girls as it did not grow even she is 2 year old. Its the same as her when she was young. Now she doesnt shave her 2nd child and the hair is growing fine.

Read more
7y ago

yah.. I nv shaved my girl.. esp now she likes to look herself in mirror

mine does. he was born with already thick and long hair, then we decide to shave it clear few weeks after. now he is 16MO, his hair is shoulder length at back, poking his eyes at front. but his hair does gets more beautiful than the hair that he was born with. now his hair is so soft, silky, straight and a little reddish brown. while his hair that he was born with was very black, a little coarse and harsh and crinkly. so shaving his head was the best decision that we made.

Read more
VIP Member

It is not true as the number of hair follicles each individual has is genetically determined since borned. Thus shaving the hair has no effect on the hair grow. You may like to read more about it via these 2 links. Hope it helps=) http://m.scmp.com/lifestyle/health-beauty/article/1823781/why-shaving-your-babys-head-will-not-promote-hair-growth http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-true-that-shaving-a-babys-head-or-cutting-his-hair-ver_10303163.bc

Read more

You should wait your baby to shave or cut the hair when he was 1 year old or over. When I have my youngest son, his hair was to thin. When he was 2-3 years old I started to shave his hair to make it thicker. I shaved his hair every 2-3 weeks and I saw the difference. It get thicker and thicker and it grows fast. Until now, I still shaving his hair every 2 weeks. He was already 5 years old. He also looks very cute and neat of that kind of haircut.

Read more

At first hubby dont like the idea of shaving bold our girl hair so we oni did little cutting cermony during the 1st month but baby tends to drops off many babyhair which can be found near her pillow , this might not be good for their breathing so we decided to shave her hair bold on the 4 month. We too use eversoft olive oil to moisture her hair now at the age of 2 yrs she have thick nice black hair

Read more
VIP Member

No1 i don't shaved because hair is already long and she is a girl. No2 i shave at 4 months, hair is less, grow less wait till 1 year old shave a bit at the side, seem to start growing balance again. My friend keep on shaving, baby hair start to grow more and more thick and fast too. If really no hair, no harm shaving to regrow.

Read more

I won't say it's totally untrue because I have seen my little cousins whose lack of or no hair sprouted to thick locks after shaving their hair off. That being said, I've also heard it doesn't work for some. Instead of shaving, perhaps you can try massaging some coconut oil into baby's scalp? I've read that this method works.

Read more
8y ago

which type if coconut oil is recommended for 3mths old?

VIP Member

It doesn’t sound logical to me as shaving is just cutting off the hair near the roots. Hair growth rate is mainly genetics, some babies start off with no hair or little hair but they eventually grow a full head of hair later on (could be months, could be years...all driven by genetics)

My 2 girls did not shave their hair when they were babies. They are 3 & 6 years old and have thick long hair. I think it may depend on individual genes too. I do have friends that shaved the hair of their babies and doesn't work out as planned.

Read more