To go back to work now or later

Hello mummies, I would like to hear your opinions. I am a FTM and prior to this i was working full time. I came back from my maternity leave in March and served my notice period and left work end April this year. I was very sure that i wanted to be a SAHM until my girl turns 18 months or earliest until she turns 1 so i am able to watch her milestones before sending her to school. Currently my girl is 7 months + and i have been offered a part time job, 3 days work week 8:30am to 6pm on weekdays only (Mon, Tues, Fri) for 6 months. I am in a dilemma as i'm not 100% sure if i should take up this part time role now or should i wait at least until my girl turns 1. I have my own personal development in mind but at the same time i also feel guilty of leaving my child for work. My concern is that will it be difficult to find a job if i go back to workforce later on with 6mnths to a year gap in my career? Financial wise is not an issue as my hubby is supportive to whichever decision i make. I do have arrangement for my child to be taken care as well if i were to go back to work.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Currently I'm 6 months pregnant and already considering on going back to work after 2 months of rest... Nothing to do with difficulty in finding a job with a gap year though... Although my hubby dotes on me a lot and is very understanding, I feel like by not working I am giving up my autonomy and decision-making rights and may not fully be able to make decisions I want for my baby. I read so many stories of wives wanting to make decisions that husbands don't approve but don't have a say anymore because they don't work and have an income. I feel that if my hubby don't want to buy something or do something because he thinks it's a waste of money, then at least I can buy it on my own... For example, currently I am thinking of getting a good air purifier for my baby's room, but my hubby feels that its a waste of money and our air con is good enough. Theres no need to argue too much, if I have my own income, I'll be able to get it myself. Of course that's only my opinion on this matter. You may think otherwise. Don't think the 1 year gap will be any problem. I have lots of gaps in my resume, whether I took breaks to study or freelance, as long as you have legitimate reasons, and not because you just want to slack or because you went to jail or something, don't think it is a problem.

Read more

I quit my full time job after maternity leave but I realised being a SAHM was not good for my sanity. Not sure if you feel the same but I felt lesser and lesser like "me" and more of just "caretaker". I ended up working freelance with similar commitment to yours when she was 7+ months and returned full time to the work force after she turned 1 year old. I would say do what's best for you, mom-guilt aside. Does this part-time job make you excited hence you were keen to consider? Is it a good opportunity? I didn't find much criticism of my decision to leave and do freelance work during my interviews, so if your resume is solid I don't think it is a critical point of concern for a year's gap

Read more
TapFluencer

Like some said if money is not a problem then the next question to answer is how flexible is your timeline to meet personal goals. Honestly 6 - 12 months gap in career is a short time. I’ve known women who took a break between 5 - 10 years! Nowadays companies are more supportive of women coming back from career breaks as they see our importance in the workforce. Join Mum network like https://www.mumsatwork.net/ where they occasionally have back-to-work workshops etc and even flexi jobs that cater to women who wants just as much time with their kids as they want time to earn money. You will find like-minded women like yourself and their support. Good luck!

Read more

I regretted going back to work when baby was 6 months. I was a workaholic for the past 15 years of my life. I left my job of 10 years during maternity to be with baby and decided to work when baby was 6 months. But it wasn’t easy with baby at ifc. I changed jobs within a span of 1 year. Baby is currently 17 months and I regretted not being fully committed to baby and all the time wasted rushing to ifc and work and back. Truly, follow your instincts. If money isn’t an issue then let’s just spend time with baby! It’s not difficult to enter the workforce within 6m-1 year gap. Just have an open mind and lay down your priorities well!

Read more

I m working full time and with my first baby i went back after ML. Much as i would like to spend time wif my gal, i still prefer to work. Like one of the person here, i prefer having my own income thou i earn v little. Hb prefers me to work as well so tat i can spend on myself. He has been paying for our girl and even with no 2, he will still do the same. I am prob also not one who can stay at home n take care of kids (i cannot imagine my sanity)

Read more

basically follow ur heart. if ur heart and mind keeps thinking of becoming SAHM and wanted to be there for ur baby, then all the more put the rest aside. Since this moment will be very precious for u n ur baby to create that bond together. Focus 1 thing at a time. To have all multiple thoughts at one go, u get urself confused. Get on board with tha baby. And enjoy evert precious moments together. the rest can come later. Don tink so much!

Read more

When I was at home for 4 Months maternity leaves. I realised I can’t stay home to be full time mum, i feel like i am not myself anymore. I feel so lonely and useless. I cant wait till I am back to work, to have my own job, my me time and talk with my colleagues and keep updated with outside world. But, Indeed when I am back to office I will miss my little ones.

Read more
VIP Member

If financial isn't an issue, however you still want to work on your personal development/ growth etc. I would strongly suggest looking into your priority at the moment and following your heart ❤️

would stay at home with kid if money not an issue. it is important to spend some quality time to watch the kid grow, mainly also because I can't bear to leave her haha

Hmm honestly, if finance is not an issue, i would stay home until the desired age of my child.