Does PCOS/PCOD lead to infertility?

33 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is one of the most common causes of female infertility. Between 5% and 10% of women aged 15-44 have PCOS. It can happen at any age after puberty. A woman’s risk level for PCOS is higher if she is obese or has a relative (mother, sister, aunt) with PCOS, but women of all races and ethnicities are equally at risk for PCOS. PCOS is the result of the imbalance of reproductive hormones. The imbalance creates problems in the ovaries that consequently lead to missed or irregular menstrual periods. In a healthy menstrual cycle, the ovaries are able to produce the egg that is released monthly during ovulation; with PCOS, the may not develop or be released as it should be. This then leads to infertility and to the development of cysts, or small fluid-filled sacs, in the ovaries. The cause of PCOS is not known, but experts say high levels of androgens (male hormones) and insulin (hormone that controls how the food you eat is changed into energy) factor into it. Apart from irregular menstrual cycle, the sign and symptoms of PCOS include heavy vaginal bleeding, hirsutism, male-pattern baldness, oily skin and acne, skin tags, darkening of skin, and weight gain or obesity. PCOS is diagnosed through physical exam, pelvic exam, pelvic ultrasound, and blood tests. There is no cure for PCOS and treatment will depend on a woman’s symptoms. Treatment can involve hormonal birth control (if woman is not trying to get pregnant), a plan to regulate menstruation (if woman plans to get pregnant), anti-androgen medicines, and medication to improve insulin sensitivity. While having PCOS can lead to infertility, it does not mean that a woman can’t get pregnant. A woman can increase her chances for pregnancy by maintaining a healthy weight, taking medicine that aids in ovulation (like Clomid), or undergoing IVF (in vitro fertilization). If all other options don’t work, she can opt for ovarian drilling, a surgery wherein the doctor makes a few holes in the surface of the ovary using lasers or a fine needs heated with electricity - doing so usually restores ovulation for 6-8 months.

Read more
7y ago

I really wanna thank Dr Ekpewu who helped me got pregnant with his sudi natural herbs after several years of trying still negative, I always felt bad not having my own kids, running out of age, my doc told me I have got a tied tubes, weak uterus that I can't conceive, it was huge catastrophe befalling my home. I kept pressing till I read a post about him then I contacted him and he told me some certain things to do which i did and he delivered to me his natural sudi herbs saying to me"you will be pregnant after using this natural herbs" I doubted a bit because I have used several medications and spent quite a lot. But today I have got a kid and I am also pregnant again, glory to God. Those with similar issues can reach him via mail: dretobospell temple@ gmail.com/WhatsApp +2348073275538