Do you think it is necessary for a pri school kid to own a handphone?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

When I see the word ‘cell phones’, I think of an advanced communication technology in which people can use at anytime and anywhere (as long as there is a signal) to chat with people distance away. It is true that the advent of cell phones proves to bring negative things such as cyber bullying or hoax messages, but personally, I do not think that it is wrong for primary school students to own a cell phone. Looking at the flip side of the coin, cell phones are commonly uses for information exchanges. Therefore students who have cell phones can easily exchange each other’s phone number, address or e-mail. To add on, these days technology is less sophisticated or simplified so that the young children and old people can use. That is why parents should have no doubts in entrusting cell phones to children. Other advantages of cell phones is for parents and children can stay in touch with each other. With cell phones, children can contact their parents easily. As primary school students are still children, some parents may be concerned about their child’s safety outside the house or especially when their child is entering a new environment such as studying or field trip overseas. With cell phones, parents can constantly chat with their children. Cell phones are very useful in case of emergency. Based on fictitious example, a child is walking at an empty street and accidentally sprained his knees. No one is around for him to get help. Another example is when a child feel that he or she is going to get kidnapped by a stranger. With cell phones, he or she can dial their parents or the authorities in the matter of seconds. Having no cell phones at school can prove to be inconvenient especially to students. For example, when students have to stay back late for extra lessons at school, they can’t have use the office phone due to the time limit or the room is not accessible. That is when cell phones come in handy. With that, they can just contact their parents or drivers to pick them up. Otherwise, they can be left stranded at school. In conclusion, I believe that primary school students should be allowed to have cell phones. Definitely, cell phones are a great blessing, although at some point of time it may seem as if it is a curse. However, as long as the cell phones are used wisely, primary students can get the benefit out of it.

Read more

HOW CAN I WIN LOTTERY WITH SPELL CALL/WHATSAPP: +16692213962 I am very happy to share this great testimonies, The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I won the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I have always believed that one day I will win the lottery. Finally my dreams came true when I emailed Dr Oniha and told him I need the lottery numbers. I spent so much money on tickets just to make sure I won, but I never knew that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people have talked about that he is very great at casting lottery spells, so I decided to give him a try. I contacted this great Doctor and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws came out I was among the lucky winners, winning 5 million Dollars. Dr Oniha you are truly the best, with this great spell caster you can win millions of money through the lottery. I am so very happy to meet this great man, I will be forever grateful to you Dr Oniha, if you are out there looking for his help, you can reach him by email. Email:[email protected] WEBSITE http://onihaspells.com

Read more

I do give my 11 year old a phone. He comes home by himself by bus and train. Feel that it is necessary so as to remain contactable at all times. He needs to sms me upon boarding bus, and reaching home etc. upon reaching home, he will place his phone in our room. Strictly no other purposes like listening to music or playing games. We have a deal, if we find out that he had misuse, we will have to confiscate it. So far so good.

Read more

No. I tell my children I will only provide smart handphone for my kids once they are in secondary school. For primary school level, if there is really a need to contact family, I will provide a normal handphone for calls only. It is easy to say than done, as there is peer influence in the school. However, I will try my best to keep my children away from addicting in smartphone, by setting a good example myself.

Read more

I'll only hand them emergency phones that can only be used to reach me or my husband or the police. The sole purpose of that phone is to inform us where they are or when to pick them up from school in case of emergencies i.e. they have to stay back for remedials at the last minute. So I reckon just a normal Nokia phone will do. No need for all the fancy smartphones. They are too young for that.

Read more

I don't think it is necessary. If there is really a need to contact us, there are always teachers around to help and call us. There are definitely payphone inside the school for them to use. I feel that they are too young to own a phone themselves. If it calls for a need to have a phone, I will just give him a phone that is capable of calling and leaving a simple message.

Read more

Well the main purpose of having a phone is to be CONTACTABLE. So if you are thinking of giving your primary school child a phone, I'd recommend you to give him or her a basic phone. By basic, I mean a keypad phone which enables your child to call and send messages. Not a phone for entertainment which allows your child to get distracted 24/7.

Read more
Post reply image

I personally needed a phone when I was in primary school as I started going to/from school by myself at the age of 8, on public transport. So it was definitely a good thing. Plus, it made me feel very safe knowing that I had a way of contacting somebody and thus not to be left stranded.

VIP Member

I am not sure when is the right time to give you kids a mobile phone, some would say it's security and some would want their kids fit in with the culture. Maybe this will give more info: http://sg.theasianparent.com/when-should-kids-have-their-own-mobile-phones/

It depends, we live in an area with high risk of earthquakes and all kids have a type of phones that only call or receive calls from parents and have no data.