Do you think it is necessary for a pri school kid to own a handphone?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

When I see the word ‘cell phones’, I think of an advanced communication technology in which people can use at anytime and anywhere (as long as there is a signal) to chat with people distance away. It is true that the advent of cell phones proves to bring negative things such as cyber bullying or hoax messages, but personally, I do not think that it is wrong for primary school students to own a cell phone. Looking at the flip side of the coin, cell phones are commonly uses for information exchanges. Therefore students who have cell phones can easily exchange each other’s phone number, address or e-mail. To add on, these days technology is less sophisticated or simplified so that the young children and old people can use. That is why parents should have no doubts in entrusting cell phones to children. Other advantages of cell phones is for parents and children can stay in touch with each other. With cell phones, children can contact their parents easily. As primary school students are still children, some parents may be concerned about their child’s safety outside the house or especially when their child is entering a new environment such as studying or field trip overseas. With cell phones, parents can constantly chat with their children. Cell phones are very useful in case of emergency. Based on fictitious example, a child is walking at an empty street and accidentally sprained his knees. No one is around for him to get help. Another example is when a child feel that he or she is going to get kidnapped by a stranger. With cell phones, he or she can dial their parents or the authorities in the matter of seconds. Having no cell phones at school can prove to be inconvenient especially to students. For example, when students have to stay back late for extra lessons at school, they can’t have use the office phone due to the time limit or the room is not accessible. That is when cell phones come in handy. With that, they can just contact their parents or drivers to pick them up. Otherwise, they can be left stranded at school. In conclusion, I believe that primary school students should be allowed to have cell phones. Definitely, cell phones are a great blessing, although at some point of time it may seem as if it is a curse. However, as long as the cell phones are used wisely, primary students can get the benefit out of it.

Read more