Do you need to bring a breast pump to the hospital when you deliver? Or does the hospital give you one to use?

76 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I did not bring along my pump on the day I delivered and my supply came it on the 2nd day. I have no choice but to borrow from the hospital. (I delivered in KKH) if you're concern of the hygiene, it's advised to bring your own's as we do not know how the nurses wash and sterilise their pumps :)

VIP Member

3 kids, and I dont bring breast pump. normally if you deliver earlier in the day, u will be discharged by next day if all is well. and either ur milk has yet to kick in or u have a lot of milk already. My aunt had emergency c sect and she was provided with breastpump by the hospital.

VIP Member

Hospital will have one for rental. I didn’t rent it though as I wanted to learn to latch while I’m still in hospital and LC are there to help anytime! Plus first few days, won’t have a lot of milk to pump out. Let your baby latch to stimulate the breast milk..

VIP Member

Kkh do offer very good pump for you to stimulate or pump out, but i will emphasis not stress urself when you just give birth. Enjoy the rest at hosp with latching before you are going to stuck with engore on and off due to baby sleeping not able to latch on time.

Better to bring as circumstances might cause it in such that u can't latch baby - maybe baby in NICU or something w the mummy...so better to have pump to stimulate...but most will charge u money for it - they do have disposable components so u can check it out

If you opt not to bring yours and the hospital will charge you for those disposable portions like funnels, tubes, and storage bottles. They will loan you the pump though. Some people prefer to use their own breast pump parts so you can bring it along.

Nope~no need to bring as the 1st few days only colostrum will be produced. And it will be good to latch on wo a pump for at least a month to stimulate milk flow. Once good milk flow has established then use a pump.

no need to bring pump. the more latch you will have more milk n sitmulate the milk also. first few days not much kick in. unless you now have some drip out the milk. if not no need

For mums delivering at MAH, they will not allow own breast pump, but u may rent their breast pump and equipments to express and gauge ur feed. This is what I’ve been advised.

Don't have to, milk doesn't kick in until the 3rd or 4th day. Also some hospitals do not provide sterilization service, better to check with the hospital you're delivering at.