Dear mummies, How often do you apply the diaper cream for baby? Is it after each diaper change or once after shower?

55 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I only apply if there is redness. When I was a childcare teacher, a colleague mentioned that applying even if the child doesn't need it will condition the skin such that it becomes dependent on the cream, hence resulting in worse diaper rash problems. I think it's more important to change the diaper regularly so that the child's skin is not in contact with a wet or poopy diaper for too long as that is what causes the rash.

Read more
VIP Member

It depends on what kind of diaper cream you're referring to! If you're talking about just normal baby butt balm/cream, we only apply it when there's redness (eg. when LO pooped too hard or diapers were too humid/tight). If it's medicated creams like Desitin, I try to stay away from them as much as possible - only ever used it once when my son had a bad diaper rash, but that was it!

Read more

I was told by the pedeatrician to only apply diaper cream when needed (rash) as baby's skin is so fragile/sensitive it absorbs everything, including the chemicals. Hence we do not want to apply unnecessarily..

After each change, I personally only used baby vaseline and if there is any rash , i use only sudocrem. Sudocrem is super effective for any rash. I feel its a must have.

Every diaper change. It work wonders and most importantly please wipe with clean water instead of wet wipes. It makes a lot of difference to the baby's bottom.

VIP Member

Depend on how sensitive my babies are. If very sensitive, good diaper cream will solve the problem very fast too.

VIP Member

i only apply morning after shower and before sleep at night. twice a day. especially e anal part wer always red

I use cotton ball and water to clean at every Diaper change. Diaper cream only when there's rash or redness.

I applied diaper cream after every bath and every time he poo poos. Till now (18 months), I still apply it.

I only apply if needed. Thankfully my LO dont have sensitive skin and rarely have diaper rash.