Informing about pregnancy

Dear all, just to check if it is okay to inform pregnancy news to your parents and sister during the first trimester?

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Depends. I told my family & in laws when I was about 5 weeks + pregnant and I end up with a miscarriage last year. It was heartbreaking. Currently pregnant again after 13 months since my loss and I only told my family when I was almost 11 weeks. Showed them my 1st dating scan. My in-laws still does not know about my pregnancy. I told my husband not to tell them first cos it wasn't a pleasant one when we told them last year. Will tell them when I am 16 weeks. Best to play safe. Wait until your obgyn says everything is normal then you can tell.

Read more

It’s entirely up to you.. Telling your family early gains their emotional support, however it will definitely be heartbreaking to break the news to them if anything happens. In my previous pregnancy, I told my family at Wk 10 and unfortunately ended up with miscarriage. For the current pregnancy, I decided to only tell them at Wk 16 when it is more stable.

Read more

sometimes it's hard not to inform especially if people see you vomiting or explain why you suddenly cannot eat or drink certain food/drinks. also, if your stomach starts showing early its hard to hide. i guess its okay to inform a few close people so you can rely on them, first trimester is not easy for some.

Read more
Super Mum

I am very close to my family, so the minute I saw a positive on the test kit, I shared the news with them. Of course caveating that we are pending our first gynae visit to confirm the pregnancy. To me, I feel it’s impt to get the family’s support whether the good or bad. Don’t ride it alone... 💕

Definitely okay if you want to. Informing others about your pregnancy is a personal choice, so if you feel comfortable with sharing it then why not. It will also be good for you since they can help you through the first trimester which can be difficult with all the nausea and vomiting.

TapFluencer

Doctor asked me not to tell the whole world first since the embryo is still fragile, but i told my direct family members and some closed friends and now im week 19th 🥰 sometimes u need to tell ur close contacts cos u might need their help n advises. But dont tell the whole world.

I think it depends on your relationship with them. For me I informed them as soon as I tested positive because even if I had a miscarriage I would want them to be there for me emotionally.

I told my sister at Week 6. But only told my parents and in laws at around Week 11, cos I didn't want them to fret and worry when it's that early.

VIP Member

I think it's ok to tell your family member especially when they experience before and you can ask more the thing that u donno

yes for me its important to have family support. First tri might be tough for some mummy.