Dear all breastfeeding mummies, recently I just found that nursing rooms at the mall in Singapore are very limited. Will you choose to breastfeed in public area (dining place or public seats at mall)? I feel embarrassed to do so. I always feel somewhat in a hurry and stressful while shopping with baby.

25 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I breastfeed in public with a nursing poncho from https://www.facebook.com/mummyslovenursingcover/ so that both front and back are covered. I'm usually in a top and bottom so I can pull up my top, or a dress that's got buttons/zip in front. I've nursed in the MRT, bus, bus stop, taxi, food courts, restaurants, weddings, malls, parks, supermarket, planes, etc. My LO and I have gotten used to using it and it's quite liberating cuz there's no need to find a room. Just a seat will do. People tend to glance but will look away quickly. Very few stare. Even if they do, I smile at them and they usually smile back and carry on looking or look away. I think they're generally just curious about what's going on. If I do forget my cover, I find a room or a secluded corner. Also, I wear a tudung so that doubles as a makeshift nursing cover, usually in the taxi. My LO actually prefers that I use the cover and will request for it. She hated it the last time. Lol.

Read more

Feeding baby in a carrier is good if there is no nursing room available. You can be on the go don't have to stop down which I find it to be really convenient. You can use a cover over the carrier or just cover with the hood. Nobody will realise you are feeding! But make sure baby is old enough before attempting. Baby must have good neck support or else it is going to be difficult. Do check to make sure baby is alright every few minutes. It will be good to practice at home first before trying it at public. I didn't so the first time I feed in a carrier, it is all over the place and I have a really angry and hungry baby.

Read more

Hi @Roshni Mahtani, what you mean by feeding without cover?? Just feed with opened shirt? O.O'' Hi @Reine Tsukino, it is a good idea to feed with baby in carrier! with cover of course :) thx! Hi @Diana Lai, thanks for ur advice. I should practise more to be more confident to bf my baby in public. I'm just too shy @.@'' sometimes my baby is crying for hunger while i'm shopping. Me and my husband will feel nervous and quickly look for nursing room. If all rooms are occupied we will go back to carpark and feed inside car.

Read more

I have experienced breastfeeding my baby with a nursing shawl cover my baby and myself in taxi, restaurant, clinic, bench, MRT and etc. So far, no one comment and critique me and I think it is getting quite common for people to practise breastfeeding in public (of course with a cover). I feel as long as you don't expose yourself while breastfeeding, you will not draw any public attention. I love bringing my nursing shawl with me as I can breastfeed my baby anytime and anywhere. Why not you give it a try too?

Read more

I will try my best to find a nursing room to breastfeeding. If not, sometimes i will go to the shopping mall-fitting room to do so. At least its more hygienic than toilet. But i will not hold on to the fitting room for too long, will just try to do a quick breastfeed. If not, i will use a nursing cover and find an isolated area to breastfeed. I think it really need a lot of practice before we can get used to it because i also do encountered eyes on me. i Just ignore and soon u will be immuned.

Read more

With a nursing cover, I breastfeed everywhere! Bus, trains, restaurant, bench, park, gardens, everywhere except the toilet of course! :-) People will look but not stare and I don't think they mind at all. I've heard horror stories about some bf mothers being scowled or humiliated in public but this has not happened to me yet. And if it does, I will continue what I'm doing and turn a deaf ear ;-) But really, it's about your comfort level.

Read more

I breastfed my daughter's anywhere to everywhere using nursing covers or nursing tops. It takes a while to get comfortable but nothing is more important then my baby and slowly you will get use to of it. If the nursing rooms are too crowded I remembered taking my baby to one of the shop with limited customers and requested to use the changing room to do the needful or look for more secluded area in the mall.

Read more

feel u as mostly need to q or if not feel stress inside when u know someone is outside waiting.. initially i was in such situation, after a period of time i got myself a huge long nursing shawl that can cover fully the top of the body.. as so if encounter such situation will just use it to save the hassle of waiting and stress

Read more

I wear nursing friendly tops and / or 'undershirts' and wear a cover. I feed my babies anywhere anytime everywhere. Lol. As long as I can find a seat. If people stare, I look straight at them and give a smile. Usually they'll look away. Keep on keeping on. Breastfeeding is beautiful and nothing shameful about it.

Read more
VIP Member

Hey anonymous - no lah not walking around with shirt open, but not using cover. I would wear discreet nursing clothes and just have baby suckle without cover on. Not offensive at all in my opinion. :) And so far no issues experienced with anyone