My daugther is 5 year gng to k2 next year.she can know only sounds of each letter but unable read.how can i improve her reading.any class like i can read...r something.thank you

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, At 5, kids are not able to read and they are still rehearsing the sounds of the alphabets that they have learned the previous year. So, your daughter is doing just fine according to her age. I think to hone her reading skills, you can buy her books according to her age. You can read each night before going to bed, and make her read the same along with you. You read one word and let her read the next. The more familiar she will become with words and more books you will make her read, she will pick up reading fast. Sing rhymes that she knows and then make her read the same rhymes. Break the words and help her in reading the words. This is how I did with my daughter and she picked up reading. She is 6 now, not very fluent in reading but she breaks words and tries to read. You have to be patient in teaching her.

Read more

According to this general reading guide, it is quite normal for ur child to be still trying to read. I think don't need to worry too much and also to note that there is a different between memorizing and reading - tho both goes hand in hand. Try reading age appropriate books to her regularly. Pointing while reading is also an important skill - this can help develop superior speed reading skills in the future too - although the silly school system does not encourage it during oral

Read more
Post reply image
7y ago

Actually pointing and reading at he same time does not help in speed reading... I went for classes on speed reading and the teacher teaches us how to expand the horizon of our eyes so that we can use both eyes to read sentences from left to right by looking only the middle of the page... always practice writing the word by seeing word in 10sec then reduce to 5sec then reduce to 3sec... this way will help to build our eye muscle and will also improve our speed reading as well... this practice must do regularly and is suitable for children and adults... best part is if you keep training your eye muscle, you won't feel tired after reading a whole book in a day and it helps to makes your brain faster too...

some kids can start reading by 5 while some take more time. my elder one was comfortable reading smaller words at 5 and my younger one started identifying very small words around 3. you can encourage your child to read more by using simple books that have a lot of small words. read the same pages over and over again for days, pointing out the words and making the relevant sounds properly.

Read more

She should be able to read some simple words at five. Does she read often in her free time? Try to encourage her to read more to cultivate the habit. You can read to her everyday and especially before sleeping dedicate a time to read to her. Point to the words as you read and be very expressive. She will pick up sooner or later.

Read more

take her to the library, make it a point as part of the routine.

most welcome