Is it common for breast milk fed babies to be chubbier?

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, Yes, it is said that breastfed babies are chubbier. But it also depends on baby to bay. Babies require diet high in fat during their infancy. Half of his daily calorie need is met by the fat in breast milk. And also because babies who are entirely fed on breast milk, they are not limited to have only a number of feedings as compared to formula milk. There is a set plan that if baby is fed on formula milk, he will be given that say 4 times a day or 5. But mothers feed breast milk as and when baby wants it. So, there is no count as how many times the baby should be latched. This is yet another reason for the babies to be chubbier. But this fat tapers off as the baby grows.

Read more

Hi I think breastfed babies are more likely to be chunkier than ff ones but also depend on babies. I always thought it is the other way round but apparently breastfed babies seem to gain more weight maybe because they tend to latch more and in the process drink more? But it is said that formula fed babies will tend to have more weight issues when they grow up. That said I have Also come across formula fed babies who are super chunky and breastfed babies who are smaller.

Read more

Yes and no - depends on the genes - depends if the mother's milk is fatty enough - some mothers are overweight so their babies then to be really v v chubby tho fully on bm. My boy is on mix since day 1 and slightly more fm - weight always abt 75 percentile during the first 6 months. After that they get more mobile so it starts to lose the baby fat. Not necessarily to aim for chubbier baby yar?

Read more
VIP Member

I guess it's up to individual. My second child is a fully breastfed baby. But he is a much smaller size baby compare to his elder brother. His overall percentile falls about 50% Its up to indiviual babies. Most importantly, if the PD say everything is ok. milestone hitting well, there is nothing to be worried about!

Read more

If that is the case, then it does not apply to my baby. Haha... She is below 50% in weight and slim. But I don't see anything wrong with it. Neither did the pedia. She is very active and has been hitting her milestones. And I think genes may have a part to play. Both me and hubby are slim when we were babies and up to now.

Read more

Not really is actually depends on the genes mostly... but actually if baby r eating good and healthy and happy then everything is good and u dun have to worry abt anything..

VIP Member

Not really, i know someone fully bf and is 10th percentile, and another on mix feed and is 75th

not so. each baby with their various sizes

Not really

Not really