Do exclusively breast-fed babies still need to drink water after eating solid foods?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

There is no right or wrong when it comes to offering water to exclusively breast fed babies. Currently i am breastfeeding my child but i still offer him a little water to let him know the taste of plain water. When the times comes for his weaning, he will be able to accept water and not reject it. For now, you can offer some sips of water to clear the palate. But if all else fail, you can always give breastmilk again (: Below will be a reference for the do and don'ts when comes to offering water to babies. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/baby-water/

Read more

Once baby starts solids, you might want to give him a few sips of expressed milk or water after his solids. Some babies need this to prevent constipation. I gave my baby water after every feed of solids. There are times where he rejects water so I will latch him to ensure that he is taking some fluid to prevent constipation and prevent him from being thirsty.

Read more

You may or may not give water after eating. It depends on what the baby wants. Sometimes my baby would ask for water right after eating, sometimes she would latch immediately.

I don't know much about it. But I would like to learn more. Thank you so much!

thanks