Toddler

My boy is coming to 2 years old but still not speaking much words. How can I encourage him to speak more?

27 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

There are many reasons why they don't speak much - not feeling the need to talk (if caregivers "spoonfeed" his needs and thoughts), being exposed to too many languages (hence unable to process which word or language to express his needs), developmental issues like speech delay etc - or sometimes it could simply be because he's not ready yet! Every child learns, grows and develops at their own pace, so we cannot really determine much based on what other kids are doing. What I listed above are all suspected reasons of why my son has isolated speech delay, it was diagnosed through a development assessment! If you're worried, speak to your PD/nurse at the next routine checkup and get referral for child development units to do an assessment :)

Read more
VIP Member

keep talking to him. at 2 years old it is ok to speak just a few words. drop all the baby talk and speak to him like he is an adult. point at everything you see when you are with him and talk about it. for example, ta traffic light, talk about the green Man red man, the red green Amber lights and what bus their purpose, why cars have to stop, why do we need to wait. repeat every single time. I do that when my kid was just 5-6 months old, now at 30 months I still do that. and he will tell me ' Mama, traffic lights! wait for green Man!' some kids do talk later, and it's ok.

Read more
TapFluencer

My son’s vocabulary exploded after I enrolled him in early childcare classes. Having so many other children talking with each other helped him develop his speech and he learned a lot of words very fast

Talk, read, sing and play with LO more. Ask questions and encourage LO to answer, when LO tried to speak, compliment and cheer your boy, this will built up his confident and encourage him to talk more.

VIP Member

Usually boys take awhile when it comes to talking but do seek professional opinion if you think there's a problem. I'm sure he'll catch up soon enough(:

VIP Member

I was worried like u .. my boy started talking after his 3rd bday .. each baby is different, so don’t worry much ..

VIP Member

Try not to use baby language with your son. Arrange playdates so he can learn to communicate with other kids. He'll be fine!

Hi, Try talking to him more. Also, enrolling him in early childcare will help as it will to more interaction with other kids

TapFluencer

My boy also started late. Got referral from polyclinic. But then he started & super talkative since then.

VIP Member

I have seen my friends’ babies who didn’t talk much started speaking a lot when they attended pre school!!