My baby is 3 weeks old. I am a complete breastfeeding mum. Most of the time I direct latch him & express about twice a day. My maximum stash I'm able to express is at 50ml only when my breasts are fully engorged. Adding onto hand express, may go up to 70ml (at times). I'll be returning to the workforce in September. I'm really worrying about the supply that I'm expressing will not be enough for him after I return to work. I know direct latching boosts and power pumping boosts supply. But seems like my manual breast pump is not helping to drain enough supply on my breasts. During some days, I can only express a maximum of 70ml using my pump only. It can't even fill up my milk storage bag. Should I change to an electric pump instead?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

What i do is, everytime after i latch, i will empty and pump out both of the breast, i can get the supply up to 100-200 even after latching, it's one way to boost supply. Using electric pump really makes pumping out milk easier a lot. But i think the most important now is please intro the bottles to him!! If not, the caregiver will have problem bottle feed ur LO. You need time to gradually introduce him the bottle, incase he too relay on ur boobs. It's kind of the common problem many mums have for latching.

Read more
8y ago

hi mummy what pump are you using?

VIP Member

If you intend to breastfeed for at least 1 year, you should definitely invest in a electric double pump! And since you are only 3 weeks pp, try to pump more often. I DL my girl too, but i always pump after she latch. Then i slowly reduced my pumping sessions after 6 months. Now my girl is already 2 years old, but i’m still breastfeeding her. Best to build up your supply before 3 months pp. My fav pump is medela freestyle, only that pump can really empty my boobs. I paid $699 for it though.

Read more

If you're expressing 50ml after latching your baby then that is perfectly fine. Otherwise you may choose to invest in an electric pump! It may work better for you as compared to a manual one.

8y ago

*Summer Spree Sale

I think you can consider getting an electric pump. My friend switched to a hospital grade one and it helped with "extracting" more milk as compared to when she was using her hand pump.

8y ago

Hi Jacq, any recommendations of electric pump other than Spectra?

I think you shld invest in an electric pump n keep up the supply. in the long run, it's more worth it then spending on formula too

yes you should introduce​bottle fed! don't end up like me. baby is a year old and till now refuses any type of bottles :(

i would highly recommend a good double electric pump , esp if u are gg back to work soon..

VIP Member

you shld consider getting an eletric pump. Now real bubee is quite popular & very affordable!