At what age were your kids able to bathe by themselves?

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Until your kids are closer to 8-9 years, I would NEVER suggest you to leave them alone in the bath. My five and a half years old nephew was recently left alone in the bathtub for a quick run to the door and figured he would be Okay. He tried to get up and slipped on the slippery tub bottom and cracked his head. Fortunately, he didn't knock himself unconscious or my sister wouldn't have gotten to him in time to save him. We learned the hard way that it's still far too early to leave him alone, and I would say to anyone out there, your child is worth so much more than starting super a few minutes late or answering the door/phone. I thank God every day that day didn't turn out tragic.

Read more

I would think this is a gradual process.. - when their hands are steady enough to get shampoo/ soap, make them soap themselves off - when they are thorough enough to rinse the soap off every part of their body, get them to do everything themselves, including drying with a towel Starting with aprox 5 yrs old, you can make them feel like they're adopting independence. They love fun bath times, but they love being able to do things themselves too! Big boy/ Big girl concept :) Of course, please make sure you are around to monitor until they are much bigger to do it themselves. Mine even said at one point "I can do it myself mummy" and he can.

Read more

Kids generally start bathing on their own between the ages of 5 and 8, and most say that it happens gradually. In fact, the best way to help your child gain his grooming independence is to teach him to bathe, shower, and wash his hair in stages. Safety is the most important factor in deciding whether to allow a child to shower or bathe alone. They need to be taught on Bath and Shower Safety as well.

Read more

My niece started bathing by herself when she was six. She made the request when she was five and my cousin took time to slowly teach her how to clean herself properly before transiting to monitoring from outside the bathroom, then to trusting my niece to bathe by herself. My cousin made sure to stress the importance of safety to my niece and also bought new nonslip mats for the bathroom.

Read more

my nephew is 4.5 years old now and he is currently bathing himself but under the supervision of the mum or helper at home. You will need to monitor your child to assess if he or she is comfortable bathing themselves, safety should be a key focus and you should still check in every once and a while to make sure that your child knows they cannot fool around or play while bathing...

Read more

My sons started bathing by themselves at the age of 5. I would still stand and check that they were cleaning themselves thoroughly, though! HAHA. I was a bit afraid of soap getting into their eyes etc... typical mum behaviour. At the age of 6, I gave them total freedom to be independent about showering by themselves.

Read more
VIP Member

My boy was 4 years old and he has started wanting to shower by himself. I taught him how to shampoo his hair and to wash himself. And I let him do it on his own but I helped supervised it., to make sure he got all the soap suds off. He loves being called a big boy and is proud that he can do it all on his own!

Read more

Kids generally start taking a shower by themselves when they are about 5 years old and up. I would advise to still keep a watchful eye over them till they are 7 to ensure they are cleaning themselves thoroughly as well as to ensure they are safe.

my boy at the age of 5 . start and learn to bath him self. but i will be there to help and supervised him. it fun for him to do the thing himself and he is learning. but i never leave him alone to bath . just to play safe

About 4 years old under close supervision would be okay. I have started teaching my boy who is currently 3 years ish. Generally about 5 years old and above.