My 4-month old squirms all the time when breastfeeding. She wriggles, flails her arms and legs (sometimes quite violently), and rubs at her face. I'm finding it difficult to keep her latched on. Why is she doing this and should I try to pin her arms down when nursing?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think she is distracted so give her something to play with or sing to her while nursing. You can try to get a necklace with big beads that she can hold on to, distract her fingers. Something like this. There's also those silicon types which you can use for teething next time. You can definitely find those necklaces in Carousell.

Read more
Post reply image

My LO has been like that since 2 weeks old. She would "wriggle, kick, jump, stand, scratch and pull" sometimes even head butting my boobs. She's really active by nature but once she's excited its full on body motion. I'll unlatch her and "counsel" her for a bit. I think soothing her with your voice would be the best!

Read more

Hmmph it happened to me. Sometimes due to him bejng distracted, other times he was unwell had a stuffy nose which made it hard for. Him. Also when he was teething he kept tugging my Nipples. I gently said no, and did not allow him to latch for a minute. A week later, problem solved.

Try talking or singing to her. Tell her about your day, or about her day from your perspective. Read her a story. The sound of your voice may help calm her down. Or try feeding in the quiet and dark room. All these may help create a more "conducive" environment to help her relax.

My lo is the same. And it does not help too when big bro is there to distract her :-( What I do is I go to a quite room to breastfeed her, away from anyone, less light, less music and moderate the temperature to suite her. Works well after that,

could ahe be distracted? monitor and speak with her. she'll be able to understand you. be positive. try singing to her may helps.

Read more

All great ideas. I'll give them a shot. Thanks ladies!