Any remedy for sore throat for bf mommas? Thanks!

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi Phyllis, drink lots of fluids help soothe your sore throat and it also provide needed fluids for your nutrition while breastfeeding. You can help soothe your sore throat and provide needed fluids for your nutrition while breastfeeding. You can try drinking hot lemonade with honey stirred in, because the honey coats your throat and the citric acid of the lemons provides vitamin C. Fenugreek tea is another option for breastfeeding mothers, and as a bonus, fenugreek is known to boost your milk production, add honey to sweeten your tea. Another option is to gargle.A variety of gargles that you can make at home help to reduce sore throats. Mix 1 tsp. of salt into an 8 oz. glass of warm water, gargling the solution and then spitting it out. Repeat this several times every day until your throat feels better. Another option is to mix ½ to 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar with warm water and gargle. Hope you'll get well soon.

Read more
8y ago

Thanks Jasmine!

eat 10ml of Manuka Honey each time your throat is sore. It has powerful antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. If you have a bacterial infection it will work fast. It will definitely soothe your throat. Try and use UMF10+ for this application. you can bf and consume honey. If the honey contains any bacteria the mothers digestive bacteria deals to it. It does not pass to your baby through bf. I also use redbush/rooibos tea - naturally caffeine free. mix manuka honey, fresh ginger and lemon with tea. drink hot. quite soothing. We raised our sons on this tea - cold and hot once they stopped bf.

Read more

Just recovered from a bout of sore throat... I took leftose (can buy from pharmacy, bfeeding safe), lots and lots of honey water (to soothe the throat) and coconut water (to cool the body cos I felt very heaty... also had alot of ulcers in my mouth) and some lozenges before bed cos I sleep in aircon room and it dries my throat rather badly. Hope this helps!

Read more
8y ago

Okay thanks!

A tsp of honey, a tsp or hot water and juice from 1 lime. Mix everything and drink it up, let it coat your throat. Good for coughs too. This mixture helped when I came home from hospital after my c-sect and had persistent throat irritation from where the anesthesiologist pressed down on my throat while administering GA.

Read more
8y ago

Thanks!

- apple cider vinegar w diluted juice (just to kill the vinegar taste). - gargle on salt water - warm honey drink before bed - lots of water during the day get well soon! *hug*

Read more
8y ago

Thanks!

I drink boiled ginger water with a little brown sugar. I find that it brings up the phlegm and clears the sore throat faster

8y ago

Thanks!

I drink homemade honey lemon, Manuka, barley (plus it's a milk booster

8y ago

Thanks!

I drank honey and coconut water, hope that helps.

8y ago

Thanks!

VIP Member

you may try Hot Honey Water.

8y ago

Thanks!