Any remedies for newborn jaundice other than phototherapy? Is substituting formula with breastmilk a solution?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

My baby had jaundice, though not very high. The doctors at the polyclinic required jaundice levels to be below 100, but it was 140, 111 and then 90 right at the end. I didn't do anything special, but just continued breastfeeding to flush out the jaundice. If you are breastfeeding, increase the frequency of feeds. 8 to 12 feedings a day is recommended. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/infant-jaundice/basics/lifestyle-home-remedies/con-20019637

Read more

My confinement lady fed baby pearl powder and grape juice from 3 black grapes. Apart from that because my breastmilk came in very late I did supplement my feeds with formula. They should be feeding more so that they are able to expel the toxins. So if you have enough breastmilk don't have to substitute with formula please.

Read more

My daughter did have high jaundice level and the confinement lady used a yellow flower(jing ying hua) that she got from the chinese medical hall to shower her and it works. Hope it helps

Increase the number of feeds and help your baby get indirect sunlight in the house. Should work if it's not too bad.

thanks