A mum told me this- Children in secondary school should learn to study on their own instead of going for tuition. If they have problem with any subject, they should approach their teacher or organise study groups with their classmates. This will help them learn to solve their own problems, not just in school, but in life. What do other parents think? Please share!

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It all depends on how they are influenced. Sec sch kids are at the cusp of discovering the layers of complexity society has to offer, and it really is up to the parent / teacher / peers to exert the right influence. Not many school teachers are ably trained to motivate their students, nor do they have the bandwidth to see to the needs of all 40 of their students in class. Furthermore, a lot of us parents are either too busy with work, or do not keep up-to-date on the latest teaching trends. Hence a lot of us do send our kids to tuition centres. Main consideration for me before I sign up classes, is the tutor's aptitude and attitude towards teaching. and how they can exert a positive influence on my child. I do send my daughter to one such class, where the English tutor was able to connect with her on many levels, as well as bring real-world applicability of concepts into her learning journey. It helped that he had corporate experience, and could ably explain to my daughter things like the value of a good written cover letter or resume, so she'd know whatever she learnt had a real purpose in society.

Read more