My 2.5 yrs old still drools and rather excessively. Has to change his t-shirt almost every 2-3 hrs He has started speaking in full sentences and singing nudsery rhymes. Eats and drinks reasonably well. Our PD and a TCM practitioner said he's fine and that some kids are like that but i still worry. Perhaps I'm being paranoid but wonder if anyone has had or encountered similar experience. TIA!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yeah, my son drooled a bit and I assumed it was due to lack of oral motor stimulation. Tip: - Eat food with different texture/ flavour/ temp - Use brushes that offer stimulation - Games: use straw cups instead of sippy cups - Blow cotton balls or fruit loops on the table with his mouth, then straw - Offer thicker liquids that he has to suck through a straw 
Kids will grow out of it - says most medical practitioners. Other reasons I heard of usually involve (very) slight speech issues and/ or airway issues (tonsils). Seems like your child is not facing that especially since you went to a PD? Have you been to the dentist to check whether he’s developing an underbite/ overbite? My son has an overbite (like me, hello braces! Haha) Meantime: Stock up on bibs and towels. *hugs*

Read more
8y ago

Thank you. I'll take all the hugs i can get. will bring him to another PD for a second opinion and will schedule dental appointment. he goes to childcare and his water bottle is with straw but when he's home he drinks from a normal cup. will try different textures food & drink wise. thanks again

VIP Member

My son who is 4 years old now, is also facing the same issue, The PD mention that it's more of a psychological issue. They can stop it themselves. Give them time. I will just gently remind my kid that you are drooling, clean up

Read more
8y ago

thank you.