My 16 months doesn't talk much ,he doesn't call mama or papa even though sometime he may try to say it when we ask him to.when I ask him to repeat some words I can see he tried to pronounce but it doesn't sound like the word or it sounds all the same when I ask him to try to speak different words,he babbles a lot .my first born wasn't like that I didn't want to get worried but can't help worrying now , anyone whose kids seen speech therapist , how young can we start? Thanks

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

My LO was similar, and it was a concern for the nurses too when we went for our 18mo routine checkup at polyclinic - we ended up being referred to child development unit for a development assessment, where we found out my son had isolated speech delay. He's 2 years old tomorrow and he only knows "mama" and "mummmum" at the moment, but he's been improving a lot! While I don't know about your child, you can highlight it to your PD/polyclinic when you go for the next checkup and get a referral to child development unit to do an assessment :)

Read more
4y ago

Hi sorry. i know it's 2 yrs ago but how is your child now? I'm worried for my kid.