hi. my 15 day old girl used to drink 80ml ebm every 3 hrs. as my supply is not enough, I started giving her fm (nan h.a.) for night feeding yesterday. but both feeding she took only 30ml. I changed to ebm and she took 70ml. but this morning, she took only 40ml ebm again. is this a cause of concern?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I had the same prob as you back then when I started latching my LO. It was a nightmare with cracked and sore nipples and nipple shield doesn't help in the DL. You can try putting on a cold Ardo Lilypad to temporary soothe the sore nipples. What I did was to exclusively pump till LO is almost 2mo and I decided to switch back to exclusively DL with my mind set to endure the pain that comes along. Reason being for my switch back to DL because I noticed a drastic drop in the amount of expressed BM and I kept telling myself the amount that I pumped out is not equivalent to the same amount when LO DL. And now, when I pump during the wee hour, I noticed the BM amount has increased a lot. Get your hubby to support you by saying encouraging words to you when you are too stress up with BF. Jia you and you will soon enjoy DL as much as I do now;)

Read more

Mummy, if your breastmilk isn't enough to supply to your gal, I would strongly suggest you to latch more often rather than to give formula. The best milk will be breastmilk and feed her on demand basis meaning to say as and when she wants to drink. Breastmilk production is basically on demand and supply. You can do it mummy, jia you!

Read more
8y ago

I have short nipple which I have seen a lc abt it. she said I would need to wear a nipple shield but in the midst of feeding, my LO would struggle of wave her hands and causing the shield will drop. :( that's why I turned to exclusively pump. trying to work up my supply now. :)

Fm is more filling than ebm as ebm is easily digested by the baby. Hence you may need to give more ebm than fm. Your baby is still young so it's probably normal that the volume intake varies. The intake may stabilise (or increase) as baby gets older. As long as baby is peeing and pooing, 6-8 dirty diapers a day, it should be ok.

Read more
8y ago

thank you!

Take it easy mummy. Pls don't keep switxhing from bm, to ebm or formula cos it will cause confusion for your baby. Baby also need somwtime to adapt to new taste and food. Give baby a mixture at the beginning then gradually more. Whether yhe milk ia suitable or not, we aren't sure too. Try a little quantity at a time.

Read more
8y ago

sorry. ftm here. mixing meaning I can mix bm into fm? coz I don't have enough supply. so gotta give fm and didn't know I can mix. tia!