Baby not feeding well

Baby is 2mo tmr and has not been feeding well since yesterday. Her usual intake per feed typically ranges from 80ml to 100ml and 7 to 8 times per day. Daily intake about 600+ml. We have been bottle feeding her with pigeon bottle stage 2 nipple. She started to fuss and cry so we changed to stage 3. The first feed with stage 3 nipple went pretty well and she drank 70ml. However subsequent feeds the crying and rejecting bottle returned. We since tried Philip, Dr Brown's and Hegen and the same crying is still occuring. We have been preparing 60ml expressed bm to bottle feed her but she will not be able to drink contentedly and there will be alot of milk spilling out from her mouth during feeding. Tried to let her latch and she wants to but only suck 3 times and rest each time. To give context my milk supply is not high - am expressing average 70ml per pump #advicepls #pleasehelp

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Sucking thrice and resting is a normal “rhythm” for breastfed babies who directly latches! They can’t suck and breathe at the same time. As long as you hear your LO sucking, swallowing and pausing, it means your LO is actively drinking. Stage 2 nipple flow rate is too fast for a 2mo. My girl is 3mo and she’s only using a stage 1! Sucking at the breast takes some effort as compared to sucking at the bottle. I didn’t want her to learn to be lazy (faster flow rate at bottle) so I opted for the teat with the slowest possible flow rate suitable for her. Fussing and crying at the bottle usually indicates that the flow rate is unsuitable for them, either too fast or too slow. Sometimes when they’re experiencing growth spurts, they can also be extra fussy.

Read more

Maybe you are over feeding her or it could be just a phase. My 2mo daughter also had a phase where suddenly 1 fine day she just drank less milk and it continued for awhile, until I have to think of ways to wake her up and force her to drink (I direct latch). Even so, it was very difficult and she’ll reject/spit out alot of milk afterwards. It lasted abt a week+ then after that was ok again. Could be some developmental thing that they are going through, so perhaps just observe abit longer. Actually I read that breastfed babies are unlikely to be over fed, so perhaps if u can, just let her latch and drink, then no need to worry how much she’s drinking and if it’s enough, as long as she’s contented after feeding and gaining weight well.

Read more

My baby is 2 months old and he uses stage 1 until now with no issues feeding. Is there any reason why you started stage 3?😅 she could be feeling the flow is too fast so drinking lesser

11mo ago

Stage 1 is still the newborn tip

omg stage 3 is too fast for 2m old baby!!!

11mo ago

Agree