Epidural and platelet count.

My wife was in pain and we came to the delivery suite, my wife requested for epidural pain relief and the nurse asked and I quote "is there blood when brushing teeth" my wife's initial answer was a yes but she said it only happens occasionally. Because of this, the nurse said the anesthesist required a blood test to check platelet count before doing the procedure. My question is isn't some slight bleeding normal?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

yup, I had epidural and I remembered being asked this qn too and I also replied occasionally yes, teeth bleeds when brushing and so the staff said best to take blood test to ensure suitability something something... thou I can't remember the exact reason for this procedure since I got a green light for the epidural from the blood test results anyway =)

Read more

Ok this is weird, the nurse didn’t ask me such things but I do have bleeding gums while pregnant. I even have a gum boil up till now that I’m pregnant with my 2nd one. Maybe the nurse is just trying to be concerned as maybe your wife’s pregnancy journey may indicate some risks that might probably need some reassurance during delivery?

Read more

There are some questions that they have to ask i guess. Coz they also checked if we had any issues with the spine or whatever.. like i only rmb mine was abit crooked 😅 like the other pax who commented, it can endanger your wife life.

it's very important to check the platelets count as if you have low platelet ur wife is at risk of bleeding . if its continuously bleeding during epidural it can cause as severe as paraplegia

does anyone deliver in TMC get to see the anesthesist in third trimester to assess if is suitable to take epidural?

the nurse must make sure to be safe, if not can endanger your wife’s life..