While flying, my son complains of ear pain (and the popping isn't too pleasant either). Is there any way to reduce that pain/avoid it?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I have been facing this for ages now. This happens due fast increase/decrease in altitudes which results in sudden change of pressure. I personally feel the pain even in elevators of high rise buildings. haven't found a full proof solution for this but in flights i try gulping water while facing upwards. Its more like you are swallowing water. Many recommend chewing hard sugar candies but it might be dangerous for kids as they might swallow it resulting in choking. Water does help me in reducing the pain. I also puff some cotton balls in my ears.

Read more

Swallowing helps. Smaller kids need to sip water, or suck on a lollipop if they are old enough to. My husband suffers from this terribly. Sucking on a candy really helps,

VIP Member

I usually give me kids a small sweet to suck on during takeoff and landing. The sucking and swallowing helps to alleviate the pressure buildup.

I usually give my child a hard candy to suck or ask her to yawn frequently, that seems to do the trick!

thanks