Which is better? A walker or a jumperoo? And any recommendations please?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’ve gathered from the KKH article that it is not advisable to put baby in a walker. It may cause your baby to walk later. Seems like walkers will hinder or slow down a baby’s development of balance and walking skills. It is also highlighted in the article that a walker may cause atypical walking pattern. The hips and knees are bent and baby will likely be on his/her toes while walking in the walker. This causes the baby to use different muscle groups for walking and this may become a habit that is difficult to correct in future. There is also a higher chance of baby injuring themselves as they are able to travel faster in a walker. Accidents can happen in a split second before a parent could react. For more information, you can take a look at this article: http://www.kkh.com.sg/HealthPedia/Pages/GrowingUpWalking.aspx Jumperoos, unfortunately, seemed to give rise to the same developmental concerns (by some). That being said, I have friends who have walkers and jumperoos as a form of entertainment for their little ones. Personally, I think as long as baby is not using either for prolonged periods (recommended usage time is around 10-15mins for both walkers and jumperoos), and under adult's supervision, there is no harm in using these. Walkers appear to offer more "freedom" for baby to move around while jumperoo offered a "different" type of movement. I would suggest Jumperoo since baby would pick up walking/running around soon.

Read more

They are both different with similar functions. I would suggest for you to get a walker if you have space in the house so baby can move about. Personally i prefer a walker and so does my little terror. Have a nice day.