When storing breast milk in storage bags, do you prefer to freeze them as a flat bag or standing up? If flat bag, when defrosting, what method do you take on to ensure bag doesn't leak?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I freeze mine as a flat bag and after it is frozen i will pack them standing up. This is so as to maximise storage space. You can thaw it by taking it out from the freezer and put it in the fridge to thaw overnight. Alternately, You can run the bag upright under tap water to thaw it fast. Milk bags don't normally leak if they are closed securely. But there are times where there are spoilt bags. I haven't encounter bags that leak yet.

Read more

My colleague freezes the bag by laying it flat, this helps maximize storage space in the freezer. To thaw, she will first shift the required amount from the freezer to the fridge the night before. To warm up the milk, she will run warm water over the bag. She has only encountered a "leaky bag" couple of times. But those were due to holes in the bag. So she simply placed the bags for thawing in a bowl to prevent it from spilling.

Read more

I freeze tham as a flat bag and put then inside a plastic container to save space. The storage bags a use have 3 seals, no worries of spilling

VIP Member

Flat bag to save space. Will keep like 20 flat bags in one huge sealed container in freezer to prevent contamination.

TapFluencer

Flat, i’ll have a plastic box in the fridge to place my milk bag in case of leaks

TapFluencer

Prefer flat bag and put in container.save space.

VIP Member

i freeze milk bags flat for easier storage

VIP Member

I freeze flat then put them standing up.

VIP Member

freeze it flat bag and keep it upright.

VIP Member

I freeze mine as a flat bag for storage