When is your child visit dentist for first time?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Most experts recommend that you take your child to his first dentist appointment within about six months of his first tooth’s arrival, or by the time he turns one. If, however, your toddler’s teeth are obviously discolored — you’ll probably want to take him to the dentist sooner rather than later. When it comes to picking a first dentist, many people take their tot to Mom and Dad’s dentist — and this is often a good choice, particularly if your dentist has experience with young children. You may also want to consider taking your child to a pediatric dentist — someone who has additional training in caring for children’s oral health. Another bonus to choosing a pediatric dentist: He’ll be prepared to deal with any squirming or hollering in the dental chair, and he’ll have a waiting room filled with distractions such as kids books and toys. Expect the first dentist appointment to be short and informal — more of a meet and greet for your child and the dentist. Depending on your child’s age and comfort level, you may be asked to hold him while the dentist pokes around his mouth. Or you may be asked to hang back in the waiting room so your toddler can have some quality time to get to know the dentist and staff on his own.

Read more

Both of my kids visited dentist at 2 years old, when they are able to take instructions to open their mouth and sit still on my laps during check up. For me, my kids brush their teeth since they were very young and restrict their candy intake and thus I do not have to worry early tooth decay. Normally dentist will recommend to get first dentist visit when baby turns 1 year old. If you have any concern on your baby's teeth, you can visit to dentist even earlier, e.g. milk stains, tooth decay and etc.

Read more

My gal visited dentist at 2 yrs old too. It is more to introduce a dentist to her and to tell her that she needs to take care of her teeth. My girl was scared of sitting at the chair by herself so my hub had to let her lie on him while seated on the chair so that the dentist can do a proper check. It is also important to get a child friendly dentist so that she wont be traumatised to visit one in future. I googled for reviews before deciding on one. Hope it helps.

Read more

thanks