When can my baby take a pain reliever without a call to the doctor first?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It will be better to consult doctor first as the dosage will be different based on the age, weight and medicine concentration. If you are using pain reliever for baby's teething, you can try other alternatives first, e.g. teething gel, cold teether, teething necklace, gum massage and etc. If you are using paracetamol for fever, you can bring your baby to PD's clinic to get the latest dosage based on baby's weight without doctor consultation. If fever lasts for 72 hours, you should bring baby to PD for a detailed check, e.g. urine test/blood test to rule out any infection.

Read more

I have read that it is safer to wait till age of 2 years old and above. It is suggested that below 2 years old, it is better to visit a doctor first and get a prescription for pain killer. Pain reliever can mask symptoms of illness hence it is better to see a doctor whenever your children is not feeling well. http://www.babycenter.com/408_when-can-i-give-my-baby-pain-reliever-without-calling-the-do_1368477.bc

Read more

I would always recommend consulting the doctor first before giving any pain reliever to a child. This is because it may be difficult to gauge the appropriate amount of dosage for a child. Also, I’m always unsure if the medication is suitable for children. I think as a guide, for children under two years old, it is always better to give the doctor a call or to make a trip down before giving him/her any medication.

Read more

thanks