What's the normal number of poop for a 4-month old? My breastfed baby does once a day only. I'm not sure if this is normal.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

There is no exact number. Just as how not all adults poop everyday, babies too don't have a normal number. My baby used to poop everyday, but she now poops only once every 2 or 3 days. She is totally breastfed. As long as your baby is producing wet diapers, it is fine. I would be worried if my baby goes without a week without pooping. I've noticed that if I eat foods with higher fibre content, my baby poops after drinking milk. e.g. I have vegetable soup for dinner and latch her. She poops immediately after that milk session. Strange but true.

Read more

Hi Stan there is no definite number of times that every baby has to poop in a day. but if your baby is pooping even once a day, it is absolutely fine. in fact, my babies used to poop only once in about 2-3 days, and the doctor said that too is pretty normal. check the number of times your baby passes urine, as it will indicate that your baby is not dehydrated and that everything is fine.

Read more
VIP Member

Some babies poop more then once. some will not even poop for more then week. It really depends on the baby. Breastfeed baby can go up to a week with no bowel movement too!

Read more

There is no exact number. We can't say how many times is normal. Babies may not poop everyday and that's normal. Relax =)

thanks

Thanks Jamie, I'll share this with my wife.