What's the important factor that would prompt you to enrol your young child in a child are centre?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

First of all, I will choose based on the curriculum that I believe in, i.e. Montessori. 1. Curriculum: Most of the preschools are based on thematic learning. Montessori school, Reggio Emillia, International preschool are very expensive compared to normal preschool. 2. School distance from School: I set priority when looking for schools that are montessori based and narrowed down my search based on the distance from my house. It will be tiring for kid to travel on a long journey and thus try to choose school that is nearer to your house. 3. School Environment: It depends on your preferences. Some parents prefer non-aircon, own outdoor compound for children to run around and close to nature, cleanliness of the school, safety measures taken by the school e.g. safety gates, meals (in-house or catering), size of the school and etc. 4. Teachers: whether they are open to feedback and communication. Normally during the visit I will ask how will be the two ways of communication method adopted by the teachers. However, this will only be known after your child has started school. There was once, I am very satisfied with the school but in the end I withdraw my daugther as the teacher communication is in chaotic, where they didn't track my fees payment. After I shorlisted a few, I will read up more reviews and feedback from internet. After that I will pay a visit to each school and make comparisons on their curriculum, school environment (clean and safe) and the ways of teachers handling the students. Some preschools provide trial period, e.g. 1 to 2 weeks trial class. You can join the trial class first before deciding.

Read more

So when I was choosing a center for my girl, I considered the following: 1. Location. Being near home was really vital for me 2. Environment /look feel of center: was it spacious, clutter free, bright? 3. Outdoor area: was there access to flora and fauna and outdoor play area 4. Curriculum: I am pro regio Emilio style of learning 5. Qualifications of principal and teachers.

Read more

Teachers! While you may think you never can tell during a school visit, your mummy instincts will kick in. Are the children genuinely happy? Are Teachers engaging them? Are staff honest when answering questions about the centre? :)