What should I do if kids keep asking us to buy things (toys or books) for them which I think it is unnecessary? For books, I can bring them to library. For toys, once 1-2 month is ok. Will they become shopaholic like me when grown up if I too control them lol?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It was one of our parenting goals to buy only when necessary so we bought only classic books that we thought the kids would love to keep and read repeatedly. Otherwise, we will head to NLB for their wide selection of books. With the same thought for toys, my husband and I started a toy library when we charged a nominal fee of $5 for 2 weeks. We started this based on the idea to engage the short attention spans of our children with a rotation of open-ended toys that would grow with them without cluttering up their play spaces. We believe that this a smarter, more sustainable alternative to the inevitable and expensive process of children growing out of their play things. Feel free to check out ToysTribe.sg or ToysTribe FB group :)

Read more

How old are they? If they are receiving pocket money, you can consider teaching them how to save up a portion of their pocket money and bring them on a shopping trip at the end of the year to get the items they want (especially for toys). For books, you can come up with a reward system such that they can be "entitled" to a new book once they achieve certain criteria. Just some suggestions, so that they will learn that they have to "work" for the things they want. Haha.. just my humble suggestion on how to introduce them to the "harsh" reality of the world. ;p

Read more

Not exactly. You may wish to teach them the value of savings at the same time and also ways for them to earn their toys like a reward system. In fact, can go for preloved items from online buyer which is usually cheaper.

Read more