What is the best remedy for 2 years old when they got flu? I don't want to bring to doctor yet and get some medicine.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Here are some home remedies you can try if you are not keen on taking on your two-year old to the doctor because of a flu: - Like adults, if your child is sick, make sure he or she gets lots of rest. If your child goes to daycare, take him or her out for a few days to rest at home. - If your child's temperature is up, it's a sign that his/her immune system is working hard to fight the flu bug. However, do monitor his/her fever, if it isn't passing, best to bring your child to the doctor. Fever in young children can be dangerous. You can give your child a bath in lukewarm water, which can help him/her feel cooler and can lower his/her temperature. - If your child has started on solids, you can feed him/her chicken soup, which is proven to have anti-inflammatory properties. Warm liquids like chicken soups can be very soothing and help relieve congestion. Studies have shown that chicken soup do a great deal in relieving flu symptoms like aches, fatigue, congestion, and fever. Above all, if your child doesn't seem to get better and is showing major signs of discomfort, best to take him/her to the doctor.

Read more
VIP Member

Apart from the remedies the other mums shared, I think we can always recall the saying “prevention is better than cure”. Having said, below are some steps to prevent one from getting it or spreading it in the house: • Frequently hand wash with soap and water to avoid spread of germs – it pays to teach our kids as early as they can follow simple instructions • Take a good rest at home and minimise contact with other people • Observe proper hygiene (apart from point #1), one should not use his/her sleeves or anything you can pull in the nick of time – use tissue to cover mouth and nose when sneezing and coughing. • Immunise yourself once every year Sharing this helpful article to help you in preventing other infectious diseases like influenza: http://sg.theasianparent.com/are-you-ready-for-a-good-f-i-g-h-t/

Read more
Post reply image

I usually do the following for my 18 month old: A) give him a hot bath. The steam will help open up his airways B) use saline drops and a nasal syringe bulb to clear his nose C) rub a baby-safe vapor rub in his chest, back and neck D) make sure he has lots of fluids E) rest always helps :)

Read more

Rest and fluids are really important for your toddler. A sponge bath will also help. But if the fever gets high, really best to take him to the doctor