What is an episiotomy? Is it really necessary?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Your gynae will perform episiotomy cut during the peak of contractions. You won't be feeling any pain during the cut because the pain of contraction is more painful than the cut. During the stitching, gynae will inject to numb the area and you won't be feeling any pain too. During the recovery period, gynae will prescribe normal and strong type of painkiller and it's up to you to take or not. If you feel the pain is unbearable, you can choose to take. If you do not wish to have episiotomy, do communicate with your gynae in your birth plan during 3rd trimester and remind the gynae during the delivery day itself. Some gynaes believed episiotomy (clean cut) is better because it can prevent bad tearing. Gynae will give you antiseptic wash to wash each time after you pee to ensure no infection of the wound area. Do keep clean of the wound area. From my experience, I had episiotomy (4cm cut) during 1st delivery and tore naturally (with 2 stitches) during 2nd delivery. I felt more pain and took longer time to heal with episiotomy. However, for no.2 I can walk immediately after delivery and when pee I don't feel as painful as during the first delivery. For my no.3, I would definitely choose to tear naturally.

Read more

Perineal massage is known to help to avoid episiotomy cut during labour. I bought Weleda perineum massage oil to perform the massage. I end up with an episiotomy because I was too pain to inform the gynae that I don't want the cut. So the lesson learnt is remember to inform gynae in 3rd trimester about your plan. I have a closed friend who did the massage and manage to give birth without an episiotomy. However, it also depends on individual situation e.g pelvic size, size of the baby and etc. to decide whether episiotomy can be avoided. http://www.weleda.co.uk/baby+pregnancy-range/perineum-massage-oil/invt/606161

Read more

Like Jamie mentioned, it's a surgical cut in the muscular area between the vagina and the anus (the area called the perineum) made just before delivery to enlarge your vaginal opening to help assist in delivery and to prevent any tearing ir rupture of tissues. Unlike Jamie, I didn't not opt for but I told my gynae if it's necessary, go ahead. Recovering will slightly take longer, and it will depends on the size of it. For me it was about a week plus.

Read more
VIP Member

An episiotomy is a surgical cut to your perineum to aid natural delivery as some women may experience severe tearing if episiotomies are not done. It's not necessary as I opted not to have an epi when I gave birth. Unless absolutely necessary, it's not usually recommended. http://pregnant.sg/articles/pregnancy-terms-what-is-an-episiotomy/

Read more

thanks