What is confinement and is it necessary?

What are the rules of confinement? Does it really help or is it a tradition or superstition? Is it necessary? PS: I cannot NOT wash my hair after a whole day. Or sleep without aircon etc.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For the Muslims, confinement is the period where your body needs rest after birth hence no sex during the confinement period as it is against our religion. Also, your wound needs to heal to reduce the incidence of infections. Do not listen to myths where you cannot wash your hair, cannot sleep in the aircon or cannot drink alot of water. For hygiene reason, do shower like you normally do but with warm water. It reduces the incidence of skin and wound infections. You'll also sweat like crazy during confinement period. And given our humid weather, of course you can sleep with the fan or aircon. There's actually no scientific reasoning for that and it also helps to prevent from heat rash. And do remember to drink alot of water. It's not gonna make your womb bloat or make you have water retention, whatever the myth is. In fact, drinking more water prevents from water retention. Not following the ridiculous confinement rules does not make your body weak, have aches or pain, etc as some people says which actually has nothing to do with confinement. It's how and when you exert or overtire your body. I'm a mum of 5 and have just given birth a mth ago, after 10 yrs. I don't follow all the rules (only those that makes sense) and I'm doing perfectly fine. My baby's PD says just watch what you eat, of course eat healthy foods, avoid spicy food or eat less of that if you're breastfeeding and your body will thank you in the future. I do post natal massage to help get rid of the aches and pains after birth and I do not eat jamu bcos my baby is having jaundice. And because I'm on dr's medicines prescriptions. Will only start on it when I'm done with the meds and my baby's jaundice has decrease. You can always Google for confinement myths. It really helps you to understand more, what can eat, can do, etc.

Read more
3y ago

thank you!

Confinement really help if you strictly follows the rules, i have friends who doesn't follow the rules and regret now not following as they are facing problems like terrible back ache and slip disc in their back. Try not to touch water as much as possible. Dry up immediately if you touch water. I also cannot dont wash hair after a day, but my husband went to buy confinement dry powder shampoo for me to use during confinement.. I shower warm water alternate days or 3 days once, the days I didn't shower I will use a warm cloth to clean my body.. I still sleep in aircon room but not directly facing me, i cover up my body by wearing long sleeves..

Read more
3y ago

thank you!