Episiotomy

Mums, can you share your experience if you had an episiotomy? I want to prepare my self.

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

My wound hurt for 6 weeks even though my gynae said it would only take 1-2 weeks to heal. Going to the toilet was a nightmare! She said I have to take painkillers, stool softener and clean the wound diligently. My gynae refused to tell me how many stitches though. Mount Alvernia gave a big bottle of antiseptic solution and a small pack of cotton balls. It’s quite troublesome. Another way is to buy a bottle of antiseptic perineal spray (has numbing effects) and a perineal bottle (to wash every time you use the toilet) online beforehand. You can also buy the instant cold perineal pads from the hospital pharmacy since the hospital won’t provide but It’s slightly useful. You may need to bring a small swimming float to sit on at the hospital or at home during the recovery period. Try to lie down as much as you can.

Read more
VIP Member

No worry. You might not feel the pain when Dr. perform it because the contraction and pushing pain will cover everything. As for wound, I use wet tissue to lightly dab on it for first few days and wash with water after that. Don't sit too much on the wound as it will cause the wound to swollen. If swollen soak in warm salt water.. Hope these help

Read more

The pain varies from person to person. I diligently applied the antiseptic lotion with sterile cotton ball every single toilet visit for a week. Didn't use float and perineal spray though I prepared them beforehand, but I do know some mum require that. It really depends on your body recovery and gynae's skills.

Read more
VIP Member

You will not feel the pain when the cut is being made due to anaesthesia. However, once that wears off, it really is painful and really scary to pass motion. The pain lasted about a week for me.

TapFluencer

Stopped hurting about 10 days later. Just use water to wash. No need to use what antiseptic or lotions or special medications. Just use those spray just but dont spray at the incision site.

My stitches was all the way till my anus so cleaning during recovery was a hassle as poop got stuck at the stitch and so painful to touch! Hub had to help clean gently...

Super Mum

I just delivered recently and the midwife said it's almost impossible for anyone to not have episiotomy =(

Super Mum

Can't feel the pain as I had epidural plus the contractions are much more painful.

VIP Member

Delivered on mid oct, till date (end nov) it still hurts on and off .

Sounds like I should be happy I got an emergency c section!