Infant hiccups

What do you do if your infant hiccups? Do you just let them be? My MIL insists that I dab water on my LO’s lips to help alleviate the hiccup. But I understand no water for them until 6 months old. Is that ok? Any other mommy tips? My LO hiccups almost after every feed, regardless direct latch / bottle feed EBM. I hope the hiccup doesn’t bother her...

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Infants hiccups due to excess gas, taking a break from a feeding to burp your LO, may get rid of the hiccups. Burping also helps because it places your LO in upright position. It’s nothing to worry about, LO will outgrown this. If it bothers you, just feed a bit more milk rather than water.

Let him drink alittle milk to stop his hiccup. Water is a no no as their tummy is too small and feeding them water will make them full and they will not drink milk. And water has not nutritional value. And I don’t think Dabbing water in baby’s lips will remove the hiccups

Super Mum

It's OK to just leave it. About the water part, I think is ok to use since you are just only dabbing. Since I also use wet gauze to clean baby's mouth.. Don't think is an issue if the amount of water is just so little.

i usually just pat her back in hopes she burps to rid the hiccups but my lo always falls asleep and hiccups magically goes away the moment she doze off

I was told by nurses and doctors that hiccup is normal. Just let it be, the baby's not affected by it. I didn't give water till 6 months too.

Same here .my baby hicups a lot.when he does i bf him and its stops. Try doing it .i was taught this in the hospital

VIP Member

Small amounts of water is fine for babies. However in this case not necessary do anything

Super Mum

They actually won’t feel uncomfortable with hiccups. So it is ok to just leave it

O it’s fine you don’t have to do anything ... hiccups are perfectly normal