Cost of having a child.

What is the desired income level before having children? Assuming one goes under subsidised as well as the long term cost. My father seems to think that me and my wife are not earning enough to have a child. While having a child later might mean we are more financially stable, there is also a risk that we have to spend even more money for things like fertility treatment as well as other unexpected expenses to care for the child if something happens as a result of having a child when one is much older. Any advise or experience to share?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I can't exactly comment much abt the finances part as my hubby and I did wait till I was at least 30 (he was 32) to get married because we were so hard up abt ensuring tt we cld live and travel comfortably (our combined incomes then were abt 12k exc personal savings and investment earnings). Yes, it's a comfortable figure to have a child immediately, with a car and 4 room BTO BUT if I cld turn bck time, I wld have a child much earlier as it is very tiring having young children in your later years. As a mom, I always hope I cld spend more time and effort with them but really have no energy to keep up aft work. so if u personally think u guys have enough, just go for it! Honestly, if u talk abt money, no amount is enough, really! It all depends on how each family spends and how much u're willing to invest in ur child's education etc.

Read more

yea just go for it now. I used to think like your dad, needing to be financially stable before trying out to have a baby. if you're lucky, u get conceived fast and things are smooth. not to jinx but i think thru so much but end up having a miscarriage and when I had the second pregnancy, I quit my job to stay physically and mentally healthy for bb. sometimes when ure fully ready, there might be obstacles along the way.. which makes u wonder why u prep so much in the first place. if cant conceive imagine have to do iui, ivf etc. its emotional torture. as long as u have sufficient savings and income, go for subsided hospital in sgh nuh, u can get by.

Read more