Having just one child

How many of you are happy with just one child? Can share why you are not having more? It makes me guilty for not being able to give my child a sibling but it is also unfair to give birth just for her to have a sibling. How do you manage the guilt?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I have one child (22m) currently and although I would love to have two kids, but I am afraid. First concern is financial for sure. Secondly I’m not sure if I am able to cope with being fair between two kids (most people said first child is their first love), I am the second kid out of 6 kids and I am the most neglected one, neither parent’s nor grandparent’s favourite. Thirdly, I am still not ready for childbirth and confinement all over again. Another child means going thru everything all over again. Many people always asked “when you want to have another one? Just have another one, it’s easy.” The pressure is there but I personally would like to focus on one kid than to ruin two kids because of me. And also they won’t be the one going thru financial difficulty and taking care of both kids. I would say let nature take its course, when it’s time you will know. 😊

Read more

I was a single child until i turned 9 years old. Days were good before the arrival of my younger sibling. I could do whatever I want without accommodating to another person. My only baby is 6 mths old now. I sometimes wonder if I should give her a sibling. However, I’m terrified of having to go through the fourth trimester again 🥹 And she’s too cute and precious, I couldn’t bring myself to share my love and attention with another child, that may leave her feeling neglected. My friends had different reasons for having only one child, eg, concerns for financial and living quality. You do you. No right or wrong answer.

Read more