What do atheist parents tell their children when they ask if theres a god?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I asked my future in law about this because she is an atheist and I am not. She said that just be as objective as you can. Just like how an atheist parent would not appreciate someone religious forcing his views on the child, the same can be said about the reverse. Be respectful and as factual as you can. Simply tell the child that the world has different people and they have different beliefs. Some people believe in an omniscient beingo who created the world while some people believe that the world is created as a result of the big bang. Offer all possible options, state the facts. It is a fact that some people believe in god and some don't. As your kids grow older, they will be exposed to more things and they can make their own decisions about god and religion. Don't be too heavy handed or defensive over such topics because it will just skew you child's view towards the issue.

Read more

I believe in the Almighty God and hence I can't comment on this... children minds are sponges and they absorb everything. they are the ones with the most logical questions to ask. we adults are conditioned by this world to believe something or not to believe. but to impose on kids minds about beliefs like these or for eg.in schools to teach things like evolution is not right as again it's creating a generation of conditioned minds and not logical thinkers. I feel only parents have the right to teach these subjects to their children keeping all possibilities open to them. allowing others to answer questions like these makes kids think others have all the answers to their queries and parents don't have any solutions....

Read more